I've been wanting to tell y'all about five things going on here...so tonight I'm actually sitting down and doing it. (I'm a bit of a procrastinator...I've been wanting to write this for a couple weeks now.)
Number One--The September DTS Came Home
All 40-ish staff and students came home and we held graduation on February 8. It was great to see everyone again and to hear about what God had done on their outreaches in Cambodia, Kyrgyzstan, Philippines, and Bangladesh! Its pretty amazing to see God change peoples' lives in a short 5 months. I love that I get to watch and be a tiny part. Here is a picture from graduation...all of the staff lined up to hug the students as they graduate.
When I came back in January, me and five other girls decided to pool our money and cook together instead of eating in the base kitchen. Now there is nothing wrong with the base food...but I missed cooking and eating as a little family makes life out here feel more normal. We worked it out so that we each cook one night and have one night free. It has been so fun! (Any good, cheap recipes would be greatly appreciated! Especially beans...we eat a lot of beans.) We even redecorated the living space of the house where we cook (4 of the 6 of us live there...but not me). It really feels like a nice home now. This little change has brought a big amount of sanity to us all. And its only $30 more per month than eating at the base! (This is our cute living room...the kitchen was a bit too messy to document.)
Number Three--Perspectives
Also since January, I have been taking the Perspectives Course. A local church, Blue Water Mission, are the organizers, but the class takes place here on the base. So convenient! And I am LOVING IT!!!! I'm a bit of a school-lovin dork, so I am eating up being in class and learning. I love learning about missions: what God has done in the past...what He's doing now...whats left to be done...His heart to reach every people group. Man, I love it! Its been a lot more homework than I expected, but I secretly love that. Here's a picture of the homework I was working on this week...I stare at this book a lot.
I'm so thankful that I get to take this class. A couple of us on the base got scholarships to take it...a huge blessing! And it has been a great chance to meet people in the community. Which leads to my number four....
Nubmer Four--Church
For those of you that go to Riverstone, we are SPOILED! Marie Claire and I were talking about how hard it is to find a church because Riverstone is so awesome. Tom Tanner, you spoil us. Not to mention that the community at Riverstone/StoneBridge/Vintage 242 is uniquely incredible. I've just had to resign myself to the fact that I will never find its equal. (YWAM Honolulu is a close second, but its still not the same.) All that to say I've been a church-hopper for the past six months. Not fun.
But I think I finally found a church that I jive with. Blue Water Mission. Spirit led. Bible based. Good teaching. God honoring worship. Cool people. Free coffee. Total package. I've been going there for about a month. I plan on stickin with it for as long as I'm here.
Number Five--The Current DTS
This school is fantastic. Seriously. And God is doing crazy things. These students are hungry to know God more and to experience him more. I wish I could adequately express how much God has done in their lives in the past 2 months. It is unreal. People are being set free from sins and issues that have held them back for years. They're getting a passion for missions and for evangelism. We've seen physical healings and crazy evidence of God's presence with us. Almost half the school was baptized a few weeks ago in Kona. They spend their Friday nights in the prayer room...staying up praying til the wee hours of the morning. I am blown away by what God is doing. He is so good! I can't wait to see and hear what happens on their outreach. Which is happening so soon! They leave in two and a half weeks! We have teams going to three countries: Nepal, Indonesia, and Mongolia. (Its been visa and ticket crunch time...this is a current picture of my out-of-control desk to prove it!)
There are really many more things I could tell y'all about...like how I've been able to minister to the staff, mentor a couple girls, lead a small group focused on missions, connect with leadership in Honolulu and in Kona, and about the future international opportunities that God's bringing my way. I truly love this life. I was thanking the Lord today for allowing me to be here. Many of you are faithfully praying for me and sacrificing to partner with me financially and I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU. I really couldn't be here without y'all.





2 comments:
wow tatum, it is so so good to read about all that is going on. way to go on committing to a church..we are doing the same recently. also, awesome about the study...what a privilege! great deal about the food and cooking...i'm sure that is the best choice with a minimal cost ;) i am continuing to pray for you and the groups going out. good luck with the rest of the logistics!! love you and miss you tons!!!
Dang, there are so many things i miss about community living and doing the YWAM thing:) Sounds AWESOME! Miss you but I'll see you next month... hooty hoooooo!!!!
Post a Comment