history, missionaries and fashion

|
Last week, I went up to Michael's seminary with him and our friend Steve. Michael needed to meet with some folks, and Steve and I went along for the ride. While we were there, Michael gave us a little tour of the school. In the library, they had an exhibit of historical pictures. Pictures of Ghana from around 1880 to 1930. They were fascinating! I wish I could show them to you! Most of the pictures had missionaries as well as Ghanaians. Missionaries who started hospitals, taught children, taught seminary, and built roads. Those missionary women had some serious old-fashioned dresses...in hot Africa...riding bikes. It made me realize how easy it is to be a missionary now. Did you know that back in the day, missionaries used to pack in their coffins? That's how committed they were to their new home. It amazes me. I just fly over here, knowing that at the drop of a hat I can be on a plane home if I wanted/needed to.

On a less serious note...something else in the pictures caught my eye. Ghanaian women here all have these outfits called "kaba and slit"...its a top and skirt made from the same material. (Pictured below) Now, in these pictures from the late 1800's/early 1900's, the Ghanai an women were wearing the EXACT SAME THING!! Their styles haven't changed in over 100 years!! Isn't that crazy? Our American style has changed since I left Georgia 7 months ago! But here in Ghana, the ladies have been wearing the same thing for 100 years. So so interesting. What do you think that means? About America? About Ghana?

3 comments:

carolineb said...

Muriel used to say that sophistication meant losing your original simplicity. Sophists are manipulators of rhetoric. Wait, I forgot the question.

Ryan Kennedy said...

I love Ghanaian dress, men and women. It's beautiful.

Katie B said...

New post need soon even.