fugitive

|
This has been a busy-but-wonderful week! Claire, Anna and the Team from Marietta High School came back to Accra on Saturday night. We had a gourmet meal of lasagna, salad, yummy bread and brownies awaiting them. I'm glad I got to hang out with them a little more...they were an awesome team. They sadly left us on Sunday morning...and had to spend the night in airport in New York cause of snow. Poor things. But they're home now...missing Ghana (like everyone does when they leave.) :)

Sunday afternoon, my great friend Stacy Kinsell came to our house to stay for the week. She's been here in Ghana working at a Liberian refugee camp since December, and she's come to spend a few weekends with us. I love how God puts people in the same place at the same time! I'm so grateful for all the time I had to hang out with Stacy...we had so many great conversations. She's an amazing girl. Her friend Molly came and stayed with us too, which just added more fun! Sunday was Stacy's birthday, so we met a bunch of their fellow volunteers from the refugee camp at the only sports bar here in town. They show movies on Sunday nights! we watched The Queen...cool movie, maybe not best viewed in a sports bar in Ghana...but good. It was fun to meet all her friends. Cool people.

The rest of the week was spent hanging out with Stacy, running around Accra, last minute souvenir shopping, an afternoon at the pool, running errands for the Mozleys, airport runs.

I took my sweet Stacy to the airport last night. She's spending the next 3 months in Rwanda. (Molly left on Tuesday...she's in Uganda now!) Stacy and I had a new experience as we were rushing to the airport so she wouldn't be late. Due to some unwise lane-changing on my part, I got pulled over! But the funny part is, the police here call it being arrested. Yep, I was "arrested" last night. "Arrested" for "road obstruction and dangerous driving". The policeman that pulled me over (we'll call him "Mean Cop") just kept shouting at me and telling me how dangerous I was. (It wasn't really that dangerous...a very normal lane-change move...just so y'all know I'm not reckless.) So Mean Cop just kept coming back to yell at me and then would walk away before I could explain what was going on. I kept saying "my friend needs to get to the airport, she's very late"...but he didn't really care. The next cop (who was summoned by Mean Cop to write me up) was much nicer. He let me explain a little. And he was even kind. He wrote up a "ticket" (I don't know if you can call it that because it was just written on a small piece of notebook paper from his pocket). And he took my license. Took it and kept it. And told me that I had to come to the police station the next morning to be processed in court. Yikes. (It was one of those times when I'm thankful that God made me a crier...I cry when sad, happy, frustrated, tired...pretty much all the time. And last night was no exception. And I think the tears helped the Kind Cop have mercy.) Kind Cop gave me his number and told me to call him when I went to the police station...that made me feel a bit better.

I thankfully got Stacy to the airport on time, then sat in an hour of traffic on the way to Bible Study (we're doing Beth Moore's Daniel with some ladies...loving it!).

So this morning, I called our trusty friend William...he's the bus driver for AIS (the school Maggie and Luke go to, where I taught, where Amy teaches, blah blah blah). He's always our night in shining armor...rescuing us all the time...especially me and Margaret. Anytime we have a car problem, its William to the rescue. So sweet William called the Kind Cop for me, went to the police station, paid my fine, and got my license back!! It wasn't very easy...but God did it! He softened their hearts and gave me my license back. Yay! Thanks Lord! I was praying this morning that He would get the glory for fixing this mess I made...and that's what happened! I'm sure I'll drive more cautiously...and I've made copies of my license just in case.

I went up to the school this morning...one kid called me "jail bird"...word travels fast in our little community.

10 comments:

Katie B said...

Haha, Tatum was arrested in West Africa. Oh geez... Just working on your testimony. :) Thank goodness she got the the airport on time. And thank goodness for William! Glad it's all ok now. God is good. And you would come straight home and make copies, haha.

Anonymous said...

i always knew you would be the first downs sister to be arrested...ever since that time you called you 3rd grade teacher a special name, it was obvious you were the troublemaker! i am glad you cry!! love you!!

carolineb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
carolineb said...

Ticket on notebook paper: $.25
Tissue for crying into: $.05
Copies of license: $.10
Stacy to the airport on time: priceless

(I cannot tolerate a misspelling)

h. said...

maybe "the #$%&^*@ quotable tatum downs" is no longer appropriate..

instead...

tatum downs, fugitive.

or,
t.ditty, rebel without a cause.

AnnieBlogs said...

I think to say this is the first time you've been arrested is a bit of a falsehood.... remember that time in high school- you, me, the chicken, rubber cement, and Mr. Goldie's car front/truck back vehicle? Yeah, that wasn't pretty.

LoreliC said...

Hey jailbird, do you think you could fly the coop and take a small trip to Dansoman soon?

h. said...

are your links really alphabetized on the side???

i love that about you.. dweeeeeb... ok, pretty kool dweeb. yes, that's kool with a k.

Jenny Fleming said...

my sweet jailbird... I'm a crier myself... I'm so glad you got your license back. PRAISE GOD for protecting from "Mean Cop" too :)

elaine davis said...

i wish i could hire someone to blog for me. my family is getting annoyed with me for not updating...but i just cant do it. i lose at the blog game.